Black pepper beef - The Rockpool Files
- 350 g (12 oz) beef fillet, thickly sliced across the grain
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum (pepper), diced
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons shaoxing
- 1 teaspoon kecap manis
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
To make the marinade, mix the shaoxing, kecap manis and oyster sauce. Add the beef and toss until well coated, then leave for 20 minutes.
Heat a wok until just smoking. Add half the oil and, when hot, stir-fry the beef in batches until well browned, then remove.
Add the remaining oil to the wok and stir-fry the onion, capsicum, chilli, garlic and pepper until fragrant. Return the beef to the wok with the stock, soy and oyster sauces and stir-fry until the sauce reduces slightly.