Cheese Chicken Tortilla Soup
Recipe By: Katria Williams
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 oz can tomato purée
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour mixed with 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb cooked chicken (or 1 whole rotisserie)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 8 oz processed cheese, in 1” cubes
- 1/2 cup hot sauce - optional
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper - optional
- 1 tsp jalapeño pepper - optional
- 1 tsp chili powder - optional
- 1/4 tsp pepper - optional
- Chopped cilantro - optional
- 10 6” corn tortillas, cut in 1/4” strips
Sauté garlic and onions in oil in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.
Add next 10 ingredients to pot, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 mins.
Fry tortillas in oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray and bake in 400 degree oven until crisp. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
Whisk flour/water mixture into soup.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 5 minutes.
Add chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add cream, sour cream, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
Pour soup into bowls, pile tortilla strips into a “haystack” shake on top of the soup, garnish with cilantro.