Chickpea Tiki Masala
Recipe By: http://makingthymeforhealth.com/one-pot-chickpea-tiki-masala/
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (approx. 1 and 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 jalapeños, cored and finely chopped
- 4-inches fresh ginger, minced (approx. 2 tablespoons)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (approx. 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- pinch cayenne (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes*
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- brown basmati rice, plain dairy-free yogurt, fresh cilantro and warm naan for serving
In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and the salt, stir and cook for 3 minutes. Add the jalapeño, ginger, and garlic then cook for 2 minutes. Lastly, add the spices (garam masala, cumin, curry, paprika, cayenne) and the tomato paste then stir together and cook for 2 more minutes.
Pour the cans of diced tomatoes with their juices and 1 cup vegetable broth into the pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring intermittently.
Reduce heat to a simmer then stir in the coconut milk and chickpeas. Cook until heated through. Serve warm with brown basmati rice, fresh cilantro, plain yogurt and naan. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.